Skip to main content

Eddie Ayala - PRESENTE!

The Chicano community mourns the loss of its champions for our cause through life celebrations, tributes, memorials and Dia de los Muertos altars. Many notables and non public figures have passed on throughout the fifty plus years since the birth of the ELA Chicano movement and many more will soon follow. Activists, academics, professionals, artists, business owners and community members - young and old - have contributed to the vastness of our cultural collective. Each and every one deserving of recognition and appreciation for their involvement, passion and pride in their Chicano/a/x identity. This time we are gathering to celebrate the life and legacy of Eddie Ayala who passed away at the age of 63 the day after Dia de los Muertos, 2023.
I met Eddie Ayala at the tail end of the 1970's East LA backyard party scene where local Chicano music icons rocked cover songs and our socks off for a mere $1 entrance fee. Although entertaining and audience drawing there was a need for an upgrade to the music, fashion and energy from what backyard parties and rock cover bands offered. Punk rock had recently taken a trip down Whittier Blvd and instead of falling victim to another music industry brownout Chicano/a/xs were creating a punk scene all their own by setting themselves aside from beach city skinhead and Hollywood hard core bands with original tunes and an edgy cultural aesthetic.
Eddie exuded the embodiment of Chicano firme fashion flare with a rock star voice and presence so it was a given he took center stage as lead singer for two of East LA's early Chicano punk bands Los Illegals and Odd Squad.
Our friendship circle within the Chicano community interwined throughout the 1980's via Dia de los Muertos celebrations, the ongoing avant-garde antics of Asco, parties, art exhibitions and Vex gigs. The last event I attended while pregnant was a Chicano Punk music showcase at The Roxy in 1981 and my first outing after childbirth was for an Odd Squad performance at Self Help Graphics in East LA in 1982.
A decade later in May 1992 while the city of angels was busy dusting itself off from six days of civil unrest Chicanos were crossing over the 1st Street bridge from an unscathed East LA and Boyle Heights straight into Little Tokyo. The 1990's resurgence of the ELA Chicano arts movement was fostered in a narrow brick walled coffee shop called Troy Cafe. On any given night you could find yourself rubbing elbows with Chicano/a/x artists, musicians. poets, actors and activists while being entertained by veteran and emerging Chicano talent or take part in chisme and arts collaboration sessions in the back patio.
It was at this time that I emerged from a thirteen year relationship fueled up and ready to break free like a molotov cocktail of poetic fire. My first poetry reading was in 1994 and was at the request to open for Y Que Mas at Onyx Sequel. From there I continued reading at coffeeshops and bookstores never thinking I'd find myself reading poetry in bars opening for bands. I certainly never imagined I'd read poetry on the stages of places like The Roxy and The World Famous Troubador.
I always held a deep appreciation for the enormous amount of support I had from Eddie. He would laugh in his trademark style as I tossed words into the crowd like one-two punches. We had a good rapport and worked well together. As time wore on I ventured out on my own projects, independent readings and collaborating with other Chicano/a/x poets and artists while periodically appearing in another Eddie Ayala production.
By Y2K I had less and less contact with Eddie. Our interactions leading up to the milennium were usually brief and in passing. I wouldn't see him again until 2008 at Eastside Luv for an Ollin performance with guest star Spider Stacy of The Pogues. We didn't get a chance to speak but I did snap this photo of him looking in good spirits.
I never got around to thanking Eddie for his friendship and his vision of breaking the sound barrier placed on Chicanos by a racist music and entertainment industry. The 1990's Chicano arts resurrengence wouldn't have been what it was without Eddie's Cafe Caliente events. I never got around to finishing up the article about the Chicano Alternativo music scene he asked me to draft up. He and I went to the LA WEEKLY Hollywood office to pitch the article to their music editor and were turned down on the spot. I just may have to write it up some day.
I learned of Eddie's passing around Thanksgiving of last year and have been hoping there would be some sort of memorial held in his honor. I was contacted recently by Sunshine Maria and invited to read a few poems once a memorial was scheduled. Of course I agreed to do so as have many others who were friends, bandmates to Eddie and regular participants in Cafe Calientes offered to pay tribute. This Sunday's Noche de Vida will be held in the building that once housed Arroyo Books which played another important role in the 1990's Chicano art/music/poetry scene. This is the offering I made for the altar.
Noche de Vida - Sunday, September 22, 2024 - 3 to 8 pm - 125 South Ave 57, Highland Park, CA 90042 Due to unfortunate circumstances I was unable to attend. I'm sure the evening was filled with love and good memories.

Popular posts from this blog

Griffith Observatory: Face Lift or Slap In the Face?

Don't know about the rest of you but the Griffith Observatory has been a trusted fortress over the years -- a place to retreat when feeling like taking a break from the gridlocked streets below; a place to take first time visitors to L.A. for a spectacular panoramic view of the city from the valley to downtown and out into the ocean; a place to make out like crazy teenagers with a date no matter your age; a place to obsessively stare out wondering where in the hell your mate is on that star glittered night; or a place to reenact the famous knife fight scene from 'Rebel Without A Cause' -- come on Angelenos...you have to know what I'm talking about. I can't tell you how many times I came upon a spontaneous impulse to make a sharp turn up Vermont from Hollywood or Sunset for a visit to the Griffith Observatory. Most of the time it was to clear my head of some dumb situation I was in or it was to get my son out of the house on and off the sofa on a Friday night. Part o

Life As A WiFi Vagabond In L.A.

In mid-August of this year I decided to cut living expenses by canceling my land-line phone service along with the ridiculously expensive and seemingly unknown long distance carrier I had. It occurred to me that I was spending upwards of $100 a month for the sake of reporting spam to my email providers only to find the same messages in my box the following day. Seeing how I had access to the Internet at work I figured I could live without the nightly and weekend habitual mindless logons to email and Myspace. How was I to know that in a short couple weeks I would be dismissed of my position at Tu Ciudad thus finding myself without access to the Internet. Anyone in their right mind would be freaking out over the fact that they've just been "laid off" but that's where I'm different. When I was sitting in the office with my supervisor and the general manager going over the formalities of being let go all I could think of was how I had just been blindsided off the Inte