Friday, August 25, 2006

Where'd You Go Joe?


These days it's harder and harder to find a good cup of old fashioned coffee shop coffee in Los Angeles. It's hard to believe there was a time when coffee wasn't served by Barista's at caffeine pusher chains into cardboard cups with sleeves to protect your hand from burning. I'm talking about the days before the fancy latte and Tall, Grande or Venti servings. Ordering a cup of coffee was just that -- a cup of coffee poured into a heavy duty restaurant-style cup set nicely on a doily lined saucer. What was best about the deal is you could usually get an entire breakfast for what the average cup goes for now. Sure, I may be holding onto the past with an over glorified sentiment but I can't help myself. The impersonal interactions I've encountered when getting my morning rush fix have left me feeling weak. I miss the days of Norms, Chips, Googie, Tiny Naylor's and the rest. I've got a problem with leaving an obligated tip for someone who does nothing more than hand my order to me over a counter cluttered with CDs, breath mints and an array of over priced brand products. I have no problem leaving a tip to someone who returns to my table now and then to freshen up my coffee and knows just how much to pour.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah yes, the doilies! How I remember them.

Made the cup of joe seem, well special. In that grandma sense of special.

Kind of like the starchy and greasy plate of comfort you ordered before that slice of pie and cup of mud.

I used to think those paper doilies were something really special as a kid. Like handmade lace.

What did I know? I was 3 or 4 at the time. Everything the world had to offer was cool.

There was an old woman who lived down the street from us. I used to visit with her a lot. She would make these little nosegays for myself and my sister with those doilies. Snipped a few flowers from her garden. Usually a hydrangea bud. We thought we were so cool. She'd fill us up with cookies and lemonade (thinking back on this aspect --was she sending a message to my mom?), and would give us a piece of black licorice for "the road."

Memories...

SAFS Gallery~ said...

That's right those lame tip jars next to the cash register are a joke! Another thing about tipping..I've noticed during dates ( I won't mention any names) guys seem to leave the proper or above average tip at fancy restaurants in nicer areas and a buck or two at local places. I have been leaving those tips at the local grease pit (during breakfast when they bring it to you), Homegirl ( when they get it less than an hour :)), Pacos Tacos (that nice girll has been there for years) and all the other little places people don't seem to tip well. I think everyone else should too. Skrew that wannabe actress in W. Los she should just face up to reality and move on. Woops this is pretty long ...I'm havng my coffee right now.

C... said...

Good point. I feel that I am catering to the modern drone machine these days. Falling in line with the rest of the clones.

Raquel Gutierrez said...

Remember Ships?? Olympic and La Brea. I loved their coffee and grilled cheese sandwiches before a show at Jabberjaw ...but best of all my own raisin toast 'cause they had toasters on each table...