Monday, June 26, 2023

Rustic Chicana: A take on the rustic chic culture. Always having to make use of whatever was available has given me the ability to make something out of nothing.
Rustic Chicana was born of the 2020 Covid pandemic. A time when days became months. A time when finances and resources were limited like never before. A time when boxes and grocery delivery packaging materials were plentiful. Much of my Rustic Chicana work was created by utilizing scrap cardboard and paper bags.
Muchachas Bailen En Vikinis and Stray Gato are part of a limited series of cardboard panels dedicated to OG storefront signage of 1960's/70's Boyle Heights and East LA.
Rustic Chicana Dia de los Muertos headdresses.
Catrina Dia de los Muertos hats.
Walltares (Wall Altares)
Steampunk Calaca Masks
I didn't let the pandemic put a damper on my participation in Dia de los Muertos festivities in 2021. I painted my calaca face and loaded down my vendadora cart with my handcrafted goods then headed over to Self Help Graphics. It was part protest over the outrageous costs for vendor spots and part homage to the many street vendors who succumbed to Covid.
It was great to see familiar faces out and about during a time when we were encouraged to avoid human contact. East LA artist Rosanna Esparza Ahrens and her mother, Chicana altarista and 2018 NEA National Heritage Fellowship honor, Ofelia Esparza pose while wearing Rustic Chicana headdress and Catrina hat. Always a pleasure running into my amigas.