Saturday, April 14, 2012

Feeling a bit crafty today



Santa's Reject doll

Woke up feeling creative this morning. It could be the weather or possibly my need to do something productive.  Whatever it is, I'm not going to argue with the desire to drag out my supplies and dig in. These days I spend so much time getting to and from work or anywhere else I need to go that I rarely have the energy for anything - like having a social life - let alone having time to make art and/or crafts. Today I am cooking up a storm of my own in the kitchen with carne asada, black beans y arroz w/Negro Modelo to wash it down. The food of inspiration. Let's see if it worls.


Cool Daddy-o neckties
A brief history of my creative endeavors:

I began creating a line of handcrafted jewelry and small art objects under the name Altared Motifs in the early 90s. My work was carried at the following locations: Y QUE (when it was on Heliotrope), Bus Stop, Plaza de la Raza, Self Help Graphics, Olvera Candle Shop, The Lucky Nun among other locations.


Santa's Rejects doll
I participated in numerous craft sales and group art exhibitions throughout Los Angeles including Dia de los Muertos events at Los Angeles Photography Center and the Xmas sales at Self Help Graphics This was in the day when vendors were not ripped off for booth fees. It was also a time when many artisans were creating actual handmade work unlike the digital imaging on mugs, candles, fabric, etc. Mass produced art meant laboring hours on end without breaks on a line of work where each item had it's unique handmade qualities.

Calaca pillow
Over the years I have experimented with a variety of mediums utilizing items found at thrift stores, swap meets and yard sales as the foundation for each piece. Wooden candle holders, ornate boxes, and picture frames were my pick of choice but every now and then I'd find a handbag that was easily converted into a portable art piece.

After working with found objects for several years I created Counter Couture: Fabricated Fashion Statements which was a line of unusual hand sewn handbags made from remnants of vintage and contemporary fabric, buttons, trim and beads. Each piece was inspired by people, places and things which had a positive impression on me throughout my life.

From that came Casa de Cientos Calaveras - handmade calavera pillows and my latest collection Santas Rejects - a limited edition series of cock-eyed dolls not suitable for the ordinary kid.



Corazon pillow




Counter Coture: Daily News handbag


Dia de los Muertos party favors

Dr. Phil-like puppet (commissioned piece)

Bad Wolf - unfinished doll head

Mid Century inspired pattern for pillow and curtains

Accent pillow


Handbag





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you end up creating? Photos please!

Linda Gamboa said...

I have a few projects in the works at the moment. Will post pics when completed. Thanks!