Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Public Transportation: L.A. Up Close and Personal



































































It's not easy to get from Point A to Point B in the city of Los Angeles. Everything is so spread apart and there are few direct ways of getting where you need to go which haven't become a gridlocked 'short cut'. Being without a set of wheels of your own in an auto focused metropolis is even a bigger challenge. You either need to rely on a bevvy of friends who are willing to drag your sorry self around or you resort to riding a bicycle and if that isn't an option, you take a deep breath and jump into the world of public transportation which, in most instances, is not for the faint of heart.

My daily work commute consists of a 3 1/2 block walk to the nearest Gold Line station and a ridiculously backhanded trek to Union Station. I get off the Gold Line and walk another ridiculous path to the platform for the Metro Purple Line to Wilshire/Western or Red Line to Vermont/Wilshire. From there I wait for the Red Rapid 720 headed west where I get off at a major intersection and wait for what is possibly the worst bus line in Los Angeles and head south another 15 - 20 minutes. Once at my destination I have to walk an additional 3 blocks to work. It's nuts! This routine usually takes anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way to get me to a place I can drive to from home in 1/2 hour flat. That's on a good day, mind you.

It's any one's guess of what will happen any time you get a bunch of strangers together on a bus, train or light rail. I have witnessed some of the most bizarre interactions - from downright hostile to outright hilarious, seen some of the strangest things, overheard the most absurd conversations, dealt with the obscene, sat next to the insane - even with all that I really do enjoy the experience. It makes me feel like I'm actually part of the city. It makes you vulnerable. It forces you to be alert. It keeps you on your toes and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than filling the tank with gas.

Sure there are the frustrating moments like when a power tripping bus driver intentionally passes you up or if your train is delayed because of mechanical problems or someone left their leftover lunch burrito on the seat and it set off a bomb scare @ Union Station. All-in-all, using public transportation has provided me with an up-close and personal look into the multicolored eyes of the people of L.A. and see first hand the beauty of  diversity and how our paths cross for whatever reason. I have learned you have to seize the opportunity to spark up a conversation with a total stranger otherwise you may never have the chance again.. A smile now and then doesn't hurt either. Lately those simple interactions have been the highlight of my day. Thank you.
(Photo credit: Linda Gamboa)

No comments: